Monday, September 2, 2019

Training the Chain - Day 1

5AM
Thank goodness for keeping records.  I was downstairs taking pills and decided to tuck the FTT into my back brace and take everything upstairs to train in bed.  However, after tucking (with perforated cap) and heading for the stairs, I got NO sniffing or response from Raya at all.  Walking.  So I changed plans and stood at counter.  No response.  I sat in the "training chair".  No sniffing.  No response.  I decided to do a Find It in the dark viability test.  Hid FTT in LR behind pillows.  At :38 there was no find although she was sniffing.  I deem anything above :30 a Fail.  This sample was a Fail.

I went to the record.  Yesterday Session 1 was a Fail.  My plan was to replace sample.  I had no record.  So I replaced sample at 530AM and did another Find It viability test in the dark.  Raya found the FTT in :12.  I consider the new sample viable.

I am now on the bed.  I have the FTT, the caps, treats on the bedside table.  There are floor fans blowing toward the bed from both sides.

Session 1

Trial 1.  with Raya sleeping beside me and with my laptop on my lap, I attempted to surreptitiously change caps on the FTT and slip it inside the top of my sleeping shirt.  Raya began watching what I was doing but no sniffing went on and from a testing POV there was no recognition.

Trial 2.  With Raya alert but not watching closely, I placed the FTT behind my laptop.  It is still dark in the bedroom, with only the light of the laptop screen and the light of the tv.  She caught the odor with visible sniffing and did a modified Bump in a timely manner.  I C/T and rewarded at source.  I removed the FTT and placed it on the bedside table.

Trial 3.  With Raya in a Relax beside me and not attentive to my movements, I slipped the FTT on my lap under the laptop, with the perforated cap facing her.  Once again she caught the odor and this time gave a good repeated Bump in a timely manner.  I C/T and rewarded at source.  I removed the FTT and placed it on the bedside table.

She is again in a Relax position but is alert to my movements.

Trial 4. I mistakingly did this trial with the solid cap on the FTT.  I was puzzled why, after the 3 successful previous trials, I was getting such a non-response from Raya -mild sniffing and no alert.  It wasn't until I looked at the FTT as the room became brighter, I noticed the cap.  I was pleased by Raya's  non-response.

Trial 5. Compared to the earlier trials, this is an anomaly.  I am not going to chart it but I am going to describe it.  It generates many questions.
After recognizing my cap mistake, I replaced the perforated cap onto the FTT and held it in my left hand below the side of the bed waiting for an opportunity to slip it in or near a position on my body.

Placed the FTT under the laptop within 12" of Raya's nose
waiting.........counting.  :15.  caught odor; mild alert.  C/T.  Reward near source.
Did not remove odor from position.  Waited another :18 before Raya gave a second mild alert.  C/T. Rewarded near source.  Waited another :12 with same result.  Removed FTT.

Odor?  Or not understanding?

Raya is now asleep beside me (PHOTO 1). The FTT is under the corner of the laptop.  No response.  When I picked up the camera the second time she raised her head (PHOTO 2). Again.  No response.  She lay back down.  I consider this a Fail.  Removing FTT.  Before replacing the solid cap I held the FTT directly in front of her nose.  She opened her eyes.  She looked at me but did not lift her head.  She did not sniff.


Dog ID::
15
Date/Time
9/1/19
Training Location
home
SCENT TYPE:  (clothing/saliva/swab/other)
clothing
Origin:
Donor #3
Date of Capture:
4/21/19
AGE WHEN USED:
135 days old.  Day 1   
SAMPLE CONDITION: (frozen/refrigerated/room temp/other)
room temp
SAMPLE STATE: (gauze/dental cotton/cloth/hydrated/other)
leggings
SESSIONS:
1
2
3
4
CONTAINER TYPE:
FTT


FTT
INTENSITY:  (# of holes)
5


0
# of CONTAINERS:
1


1
# of SCENT OPTIONS:
1

1
MODE of PRESENTATION: (hand/surface/wheel/other)
in clothing
behind
laptop
under
laptop
under
laptop
Target Scent in #




Training Location
in bed
in bed
in bed
in bed
Air Flow
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
Reps:
1
111
% Success Rate:
0
100
100
0
Length of Search::
indefinite
timely
timely
appropriate
(SEE ABOVE)



Photo 1


Photo 2



TRAINER NOTES:

COMMENTS:  I would have backed it up even farther. I think the idea of “working scent” in the bed area is just not even a concept she has ever considered.

Just hold it in your hand - let her sniff both hands and find it- or just present it and reinforce a few times.

Just back it up to the beginning for a few days.


Session 2
9AM

Trial 1. Downstairs in the FR at the laptop once again.  I am modifying somewhat the trial procedure. Once again, "teaching" with repetitive alert for the same hide.  Raya was down beside my feet.  I placed the FTT in my L pocket.  She did not catch the odor so after 4 minutes I considered this a definite Fail.  Removed the FTT from my pocket and tucked it under my knee, closer to Raya's nose and not covered by fabric.

Trial 2.  At :15 Raya caught the odor and placed her nose under my knee ON the FTT.  She did not volunteer a Bump at this time.  I am noticing, however, that she seems to volunteer a bow before offering the Bump.  I will document the Bow whenever it happens.  C/T on source.  I left the FTT in place and repeated the C/T for going to source, rewarding at source.  X3.  Each successive attempt the Bump increased in strength and in number.

Trial 3.  Moved FTT to L pocket.  Now Raya moved quickly to source.  Placed her nose on the area of the source and nudged.  C/T. Reward at source. Repeated X3.

Trial 4.  Moved FTT to R pocket.  A repeat of the above.  Each successive repetition, the Bump becomes stronger and more persistent.

Trial 5.  Moved FTT to L pocket.

Trial 6.  Moved FTT to R pocket.

Ended session.


Dog ID::
15
Date/Time
9/1/19
Training Location
home
SCENT TYPE:  (clothing/saliva/swab/other)
clothing
Origin:
Donor #3
Date of Capture:
4/21/19
AGE WHEN USED:
135 days old.  Day 1   
SAMPLE CONDITION: (frozen/refrigerated/room temp/other)
room temp
SAMPLE STATE: (gauze/dental cotton/cloth/hydrated/other)
leggings
SESSIONS:
1
2
3
4
CONTAINER TYPE:
FTT
FTT
FTT
FTT
INTENSITY:  (# of holes)
5
5
5
5
# of CONTAINERS:
1
1
1
1
# of SCENT OPTIONS:
1
1
11
MODE of PRESENTATION: (hand/surface/wheel/other)
clothing
L pocket
under knee;
seated
L
pocket
R
pocket
Target Scent in #




Training Location
FR:
couch
FR:
couch
FR:
couch
FR:
couch
Air Flow
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
2 fans/
open
windows
Reps:
1
333
% Success Rate:
0
100%100%100%
Length of Search::
4:00
:15:15:15


No comments:

Post a Comment